|Blueberry Muffins - A Healthier Muffin|
So, what's the problem, you ask?
8 grams fat
573 mg sodium
1 lonely little gram of fiber
17 grams sugar
AND that's without the crumb topping, which adds another 33 calories, 1 g fat, and 5 g sugar. For you Weight Watchers fans, that makes each muffin 6 points.
Thanks to recipes.sparkpeople.com for the nutrition data.
Once I realized how unhealthy these muffins were, despite their delightful flavor, I began work on creating an equally tasty but healthier muffin.
Blueberry Muffins - A Healthier Muffin
- 1 cup quick oats (the kind that cooks in 1 minute)
- 1/4 cup regular rolled oats
- 1/2 cup white flour
- 1/2 cup oat bran (for a less oaty taste, replace with flour)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 TB baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1 egg
- 6 TB unsweetened applesauce (about one of those individual-serving cups they sell in packs)
Don't Forget: 1 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 TB regular, rolled oats
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
|Combine wet ingreds into dry|
- Preheat oven to 415 degrees.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine all wet ingredients.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ones until mostly combined - you'll still see some areas that look dry.
- Mix the blueberries in gently.
- Divide into ten greased muffin cups (or use paper liners). Note: I've heard it's helpful to put water in the muffin pan cups you're not using. I don't do this, though, because it always ends with spilled water and burns at my house.
- Bake 15 minutes at 415 degrees. To tell if they're done, stick a toothpick down the center of the biggest muffin. If it comes out clean or with just crumbs, they're done. If it comes out with batter on it, give them another 2 minutes.
Allow the muffins to cool for 5 min in the pan before removing. I find it helpful to run a knife around the edge of each of the muffins before trying to pop them out.
And the best part -
1.5 grams fat
397 mg sodium
2.5 grams fiber
11 grams sugar
Per muffin, that's just 2 Weight Watchers points!